Ever wondered what could be the world’s most expensive things? And about the people who managed to invent and buy them?
When it comes to buying expensive stuff without any apparent reason, rich people seem to enjoy it. People have different kinds of interests from all around the world. Some of them are even blessed to be privileged enough to explore and achieve their interests.
So, what happens when an over-privileged person decides to go a little crazy? Masterpieces are invented.
In this write-up, we are going to be exploring the world of extremely rich people and admire the beauty of things that a commoner could never afford!
After thorough research, we have come up with the 10 Most Expensive Things in the World.
Let’s have a look.
10 Most Expensive Things in the World
Let’s explore the riches of the world. Also, we will discuss why they are so expensive.
1. Yacht History Supreme
Cost: 4.5 Billion USD
So, here are a few fun facts that you need to know about the most expensive yacht in the world.
- History Supreme is worth approximately $4.8 Billion.
- A world-famous UK-based luxury designer known as Stuart Hughes designed 100 feet yacht and took almost 3 years to complete it.
- It is currently owned by a Malaysian businessman named Robert Kuok who is one of only three Malaysians with a net worth of $5 Billion or more.
- The master bedroom of this amazing yacht is made up of meteorite rock and is the center of attraction.
Your next question should be; why is this yacht so ridiculously expensive? Well, I’m here to tell you why!
It is mainly because of what the yacht is made of, solid gold. Yes, Yacht History Supreme is made of 10,000 kilograms of gold and platinum.
2. The Card Players (Painting)
Cost: 250 – 300 Million USD
I personally find this very interesting because the facts I’m about to tell you will leave you speechless.
- This beautiful piece of art was painted by a famous French artist, Paul Cezzane, in his mid-fifties.
- It is now owned by ‘The Royal Family’ of Al Thani of Qatar.
- The painting depicts, Provencal peasant’s daily life as they were smoking their pipes and playing cards.
$250 Million for a piece of painting, crazy right? Well, there’s a solid reason why this painting is so expensive. It’s because the sale between Embiricos and The Qatari Royals was a private deal.
The exact price paid for ‘The Card Players’ is unknown. But the figure is typically placed between $250 – $300 Million.
3. Rhein II (Photograph)
Cost: 4.3 Million USD
To be honest, this doesn’t sit right with me. But let’s take a look at the facts about this photograph and decide if it’s worth $4.3 Million or not.
- The image you see above is a photograph taken by a German visual artist known by the name of Andreas Gursky in 1999.
- It’s a pretty basic picture and all you can see is a river flowing horizontally across the field of view, between flat green fields, under an overcast sky.
- Other details like dog walkers and a factory building were removed by the artist using digital editing.
- This piece of art was sold at a Christie’s auction in New York City in 2011.
So now, it’s time for the real question. Why is it so freaking expensive? There are many factors involved in the price. Moreover, the artist and the value of their previous artwork play a major role too.
But if we think about what makes the photo good on its own? I don’t think we’ll be able to point out much stuff. And if you really think about it, it’s not even 100% real. It’s digitally edited.
So the only answer I could think of was that; Andreas Gursky is probably one of the best photographers in the world right now. His status combined with the rarity (it’s the largest and first of only 6 prints) of this print could be the only two things that made someone spend so much money on it.
4. Diamond Panther Bracelet
Cost: 12.4 Million USD.
Following are the facts that you need to know about the most expensive bracelet in the world.
- This bracelet was created by Cartier in Paris in 1952.
- The finely sculpted panther is pavé-set with single-cut diamonds and calibré-cut onyx.
- Each eye is carefully set with a marquise-shaped emerald.
- Diamond Panther Bracelet was owned by Wallis Simpson, whose affair with Edward VIII led to his abdication
- This beautiful piece of jewelry was sold for $12.4 Million (for three times its estimated price, as it was missing some small stones) at a Sotheby’s auction in 2010.
I don’t think we need more reasons as to why this bracelet is so expensive. With all these facts known, I think ‘Diamond Panther Bracelet’ is totally worth it.
5. L’Incomparable Diamond Necklace
Cost: 55 Million USD.
Here’s a list of things you need to know about the world’s most expensive necklace.
- This shiny piece of the jewel has been declared the world’s most expensive necklace by Guinness World Records.
- The natural fancy deep yellow shield step-cut diamond is the largest internally flawless diamond ever graded by the Gemological Institute of America.
- It is currently owned by Mouawad, a Swiss and Emirati luxury goods company.
- The beautiful yellow diamond is attached to a Rose gold chain adorned with further 90 white diamonds.
- The Incomparable diamond was discovered in a rubble pile by a young girl in The Democratic Republic of Congo.
These are all the facts you need to know about the most expensive necklace in the world. I personally think it’s beautiful. It’s perfect for people who like to be a little extra Boujee.
6. Crystal Piano
Cost: 3.2 Million USD
As you can already tell by the name; this piano is completely made from crystal. Which, obviously, makes it the most expensive musical instrument in the world. I was very amused when I found out these facts about this beautiful piece of art:
- The crystal Piano received its 15 minutes of fame when it graced the iconic Beijing Olympic Games in 2008.
- The casework, lid, and legs are all fashioned from industrial grade Acrylic to give the piano a unique visual presence.
- Kawaii just produced 5 of these crystal pianos.
- The piano was first made public in the year 2008, in the opening ceremony of the Beijing Olympic Games.
Now, this is something that you won’t feel bad spending money on! It’s beautiful, and one of a kind.
7. 201- Carat Gemstone Watch
Cost: 25 Million USD.
Many people have a passion for beautiful expensive watches. But this shimmery piece of accessory sets the bar quite high for other watches; you’ll see why.
- This beautiful 201- Carat watch is made by Chopard in 2000.
- The watch features a series of colored diamonds in unusual hues and fancy shapes
- It contains 874 high-graded diamonds of different colors and sizes.
- At the center is an internally flawless heart-shaped Pink Diamond that weighs 15.37 Carats, a 12.79 Carat heart-shaped Blue Diamond, and a heart-shaped D-color Diamond weighing 36 carats.
- All of these stones are elegantly set in a bracelet that contains 260 pear-shaped D-color diamonds, and 91 round D-color Diamonds weighing 29 carats; arranged into flower shapes that feature around 8.81-carat yellow diamonds.
- Furthermore, 26 pear-shaped yellow diamonds that altogether weigh 07 carats are scattered throughout the bracelet.
Well, I think all those diamonds justify the $25 Million spent on this watch.
8. The Dead Shark
Cost: 12 Million USD
I found this super interesting, mainly because:
- It is an actual tiger shark preserved in formaldehyde in a vitrine.
- This artwork was produced by Damien Hirst in 1991.
- It is officially known as The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Someone Living.
- Damien said that his art represents vanitas and beauty, death and rebirth, medicine, technology, and mortality.
Reading about ‘The Physical Impossibility of Death in the Mind of Living’ left me amazed, to be honest. In my opinion, it’s totally worth those $12 Million.
9. Magnetic Floating Bed
Cost: 1.6 Million USD
If someone would’ve told me a few years ago that there are going to be floating beds, I probably would’ve laughed. But here it is, a perfect example of modern science.
Here are all the things you need to know about Magnetic Floating Beds.
- It took seven years for the development of this magnetic bed.
- The bed frame itself is a simple rectilinear board, that appears to be hovering on invisible legs.
- Spectacularly, it can hold up to over 1500 pounds.
- It consists of magnets weighing about 680 kg which allow the bed to keep floating.
- It was created by the Dutch Architect Janjaap Ruijssenaars.
- The bed floats 16 inches above the floor. It is held in place by a matching set of repelling magnetic fields from magnets built into the bed.
10. Gold-plated Bugatti Veyron
Cost: 10 Million USD
This beautiful gold-plated Bugatti Veyron is the most expensive car in the world, for the following reasons.
- It is currently owned by the American Rapper Flo Rida whose real name is Tramar Dillard.
- This gold-plated vehicle has an amazing speed that goes from 0-100 in 2.8 seconds.
- The gold plating was added to the car by Flo Rida himself, after the purchase of the car.
I mean like, who wouldn’t pay $10 Million for this beauty on the wheels.
So here you go, folks! These were the 10 most expensive things in the world. I really hope you enjoyed reading it.
Moreover, any other expensive thing that we might have missed; you can mention in the comment section.