Being a NUML alumnus, I feel overwhelmed in helping out candidates in taking admission to the National University of Modern Languages (NUML).
In this article, I am going to help those who are looking forward to taking admission in NUML for the M.A English program.
Apply for Admission
When NUML opens admission for the M.A English program, candidates must apply online on NUML’s website.
To apply online, first, you would need to make your account and create a profile giving the required details. Afterward, you can apply for your desired degree (M.A English). To apply, fill in all your educational details. Take a printout of challan. Deposit the mentioned fee in the mentioned bank (Allied Bank). Then, simply upload the scanned copy of paid challan form. Apply and it is done!
Make sure to keep the challan copy safe with you. You will be asked to submit the copy during your entry test. Without it, you will not be allowed to sit for the entrance exam.
Phases of NUML Entrance Exam
NUML Entrance Exam consists of two phases:
- Initial Written Exam
- Interviews of the shortlisted candidates
M.A English Entry Test Paper of NUML
As NUML takes back the question paper after test, one can never find past papers on internet. But, as I have been through it, I can share self-made sample paper of NUML entry test paper for M.A English program.
NUML has been following the similar paper pattern in their entry tests. Rest, they can change the paper pattern without initial notice. So, do not blame me in case you find the paper different from what I am going to share.
SAMPLE | Idea of the Paper:
Mainly, the written exam consists of 3 questions with total of 30 marks (10 marks each).
The first question is of English Grammar. It may contain 5 MCQs and 5 blanks questions.
Question no 1: Circle the right answer.
- Ahmed is kicking the football. The underlined word is a/an:
- I could not come to school because I was sick. The underlined word is a/an:
- None of Above
- Choose the correct sentence from the following given sentences.
- I have just finish my work.
- I am just finished my work.
- I just finished my work.
- I just finishing my work.
- It might rain today. The underlined word is a/an:
- Main verb
- Modal Verb
- Questioning Pronoun
- None of these
- I hurt myself. The underlined verb is a/an:
- Demonstrative Pronoun
- Reflexive Pronoun
- Indefinite Pronoun
- None of Above
Similarly, the other 5 blanks will be like:
- Aslam as well as Ahmed ___ coming today. (is, are, be)
- The cake ___ eaten by the guests. (have, has, was)
- Who is knocking __ the door? (on, at, off)
- I am good __ Maths. (in, at, on)
- I wish I ____ a doctor. (was, were, am)
Hence, first question will be of 5 MCQs and 5 blanks, each carrying 1 mark.
Now, coming to the second question of entry test that too carries 10 marks.
The 2nd Question of Entry test
In the 2nd question, a stanza or an extract from any poem or a complete short poem is given. 5 or 6 questions about it are asked in the end. You have to answer any 5 of them (in case 6 are given). Each question will be carrying 2 marks.
For Example | Sample
WHAT is this life if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare?—
No time to stand beneath the boughs,
And stare as long as sheep and cows:
No time to see, when woods we pass,
Where squirrels hide their nuts in grass:
No time to see, in broad daylight,
Streams full of stars, like skies at night:
No time to turn at Beauty’s glance,
And watch her feet, how they can dance:
No time to wait till her mouth can
Enrich that smile her eyes began?
A poor life this if, full of care,
We have no time to stand and stare.
- State the poem’s central idea or theme of the poem in a singular sentence.
- Identify and write any 4 Rhyming Words in the poem.
- Give the names of the poet and poem.
- What does poet lament on in the poem?
- What do you understand from the phrase ‘Beauty’s glance’?
Each question is carrying 02 marks.
Now let’s discuss the 3rd question.
The Third Question of the Entry Test Written Exam, NUML
In the third question you will be given two or three topics. You have to pick any one topic and write a short English essay or three to four paragraphs on it. It also carries 10 marks.
Sample | Topics for Essays
- Coeducation | Pros and Cons
- Science in the Service of Man
- Social Problems of Pakistan
- Education Crisis in Pakistan
Similar simple topics are given in the paper.
The whole paper is of around circa 40 minutes.
After written exam, NUML will upload result on website within a week. Then, they will call the shortlisted candidates for interview.
In inteview, they ask about very basic things. The questions will be like:
- Introduce yourself.
- Why do you want to do M.A English?
- Can you explain the Noun-verb Agreement?
- What is the difference between a novel and a short story?
- Parts of speech
- Kinds of sentences
The interview is more a test of personality and confidence than of knowledge.
FAQs regarding M.A English Admission in NUML
- What are the eligibility criteria to apply for M.A English in NUML?
To apply for M.A English in NUML, the candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree with 2nd division OR 3rd division plus English Advanced Diploma (NUML) with at least 65% marks. Applicants must have studied English as a compulsory subject at the Graduation level. However, those who have studied Elective English at graduation level are preferred.
- Is there any age limit to apply for M.A English in NUML?
No, there is no age restriction. A candidate of any age group can apply for M.A English Program at NUML.
So, it was all about NUML M.A English Entry Test Paper/Exam. I wish you Godspeed!
More Queries? Leave comments.