While applying for a debit or credit card, we often face a dilemma of whether we should go for a MasterCard or Visa Card. We would be clear in our choice once we know the similarity and differences between MasterCard and Visa Card.
After thorough research on the subject, we learned that there isn’t much difference between MasterCard and Visa cards. Both are more similar to each other than different. However, in some aspects, both the cards/companies differ.
Let’s discuss those similarities and differences in some detail. Before discussing the differences, we would first discuss the common features of both cards.
Similarities between MasterCard and Visa Card
Following are a few similarities between MasterCard and Visa Card.
- Both companies are USA-based companies; operational in almost all countries.
- As there is competition between these companies, both are exceptionally good in their services.
- Both companies provide global security and fraud protection to customers.
- We can use both cards for local as well as international payments and transactions. Moreover, we can also use them as smart wallet options like Google Play Store and Apple Pay, etc. In short, both cards can be used for online transactions, online shopping, payment, or money transfer.
Differences between MasterCard and Visa Card
When it comes to finding differences between the two, apparently we cannot find any. However, there are some minor differences; as discussed below.
- The first and foremost difference that gives MasterCard an edge over Visa Card is; that companies like Payoneer, PayPal, etc. which are payment gateways for international transactions, offer an option to pay via MasterCard. For example, Payment requests processed through invoices in Payoneer can be completed using MasterCard among other available options. However, Payoneer does not give the option to pay with Visa Card.
- Both MasterCard Inc. and Visa Card Inc. are American multinational financial services corporations. However, MasterCard Inc. was founded in 1966, whereas Visa Inc. was founded in 1958.
- Thirdly, there might be a difference between the service charges of both cards. Similarly, both offer different discounts to customers. But, that isn’t something that needs to be considered when opting between the two. This is because charges and discounts are flexible and may vary with time.
Both Visa and MasterCard are similar in their services. There isn’t much considerable difference between the two. Both cards are virtually accepted anywhere around the world. Generally, it is seen that Visa Card is widely used or issued by banks in Pakistan.
No, Easypaisa and JazzCash do not offer the service of online international transactions in their ATM (Visa or MasterCard) cards.